Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Speckled worm eel


so today I was pretty excited... While identifying samples for work (that's what I do, collect, sort and identify fauna from seagrass beds), I came across an eel... I was pretty excited, because I have been working there for over a year and I have never come across any eel... So I thought wow, here is this new species for our collection (not a new species, but a species which we haven't encountered yet)... So I was excited, I showed a coworker whose been working there for like 2 years and he was like huh, let me check the collection (every time we come across a new species to our study or a good specimen, we put it into the collection for reference)... Then he said, oh, is it Myrophis punctatus, and I said, dammit it is... My beautiful 186 mm long speckled worm eel would not make it into the collection, for we already have 3... Ah well... Anyways, its pretty cool looking... has the enlarged nostrils, a pointed head, a speckled upper body and oddly arranged dorsal and anal fins...
apparently, it has a broad range of habitats from seagrass beds and mangroves to offshore reefs... and it uses its pointed tail to burrow backwards into the sand...

I know this isn't the most exciting or informative post, but its a post none-the-less, and they cant all be spectacular... At least it gives you a little of an idea of what I do...

No comments: